Friday, February 27, 2015

My 395 Page Lifesaver

Researching and finding laws for foreign countries is actually harder than I thought it would be. Then, on to of that,finding topics from countries that are different every week is even harder. I do not want every single one of my blogs to be the same: describing the laws, culture, and outlining how hard it is to be a woman. So, I try to find an issue or media phenomenon that is interesting instead. However, I need the laws, culture, and information on how hard it is to be a woman before I can write about the hard hitting issue, and that is exactly what I did this week.

Every year the World Economic Forum releases a Global Gender Gap Report. This report is a whopping 395 page pdf file of statistics, charts, and lists. It is boring and repetitive, but contains most of the information I need for the background of my project. There is everything from the wage gap and domestic abuse to legislative equality and education. Men and women are put side by side for each individual country, entire regions, and the whole world. All the top issues have rankings within them. These rankings consist of the 141 countries that participate in top global economics.

With this resource, I can easily compare countries to see where they fall on certain issues and women’s rights as a whole. I can use it to underline the rest of my projects and research. It is a file that I have spent a few good hours looking at this week, and still cannot fully comprehend everything it says. The report just puts everything in perspective, when it comes to America vs. the world and I am very excited that I found it.

So until next week, when I have an issue to write about and have fully digested this resource, here is some Beyonce, because why not? 

***Flawless ft. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


No comments:

Post a Comment